Thursday, July 8, 2010

What is your legacy?

Recently, I have known many people that have had to face the "C" word...cancer. Many of them were not directly connected to me, but through friends or extended family. I have really wrestled with the not only the idea of cancer, but who this disease is affecting within my circle of friends.

Just two months ago, I attended a viewing for Christy DePriest Wright who had passed away from cancer at the age of 24. Her life seemed to be completely devoted to the Lord, in fact, her and her husband had planned to become missionaries to China. Her joy of life and love for God radiated through her entire life...anyone who met her knew that she had a relationship with Him. So, as humans, our immediate question is "why?" While I don't think we will ever know the true reasons here on earth, God knows. In the week before Christy's death, she called two of Nick and I's friends and asked them to be pall-bearers in her funeral. She was in good spirits despite what the next few days would bring. What a testimony. On the day that Christy passed, her mom came in to say that she probably wouldn't make it through the day because of complications with her lungs. Christy just looked at her and said, "I get to go to heaven now?" I can't say that I would have that peace, that I wouldn't be angry or frustrated, but she was. Her testimony, even though I didn't know her that well, has influenced my life so many times...times when I get frustrated about insignificant life events, or when I seem to be too negative, I think of her strength, her faith, and how her life was cut short, and she praised God even then.

Even though Christy's life was cut short, her memories, her testimony, and her life will influence so many for eternity. I hope that I am able to leave a legacy for future generations that will point others towards Christ...as Christy did in her short 24 years on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment